NATIONAL COMPANY
MARITIME DANUBE PORTS ADMINISTRATION
GALATI
     


Monography

The Navigation Palace is located in Galaţi County, in Port Street, no. 34, the building being a symbol of Galati city, but also a particularly expressive Romanian example in the Danube’s river area.

Since 1998 the edifice is owned by the National Company Maritime Danube Ports Administration Galati, being the headquarters of the company. Starting with the year 2004, is found on the list of historical monuments in Galati County, at the position 68, code GL-II-m-B-03064, under the name of Galati’s River Railway Station.

In the period 1909-1912, until 1914-1915, the Palace of the Romanian Naval Navigation Administration (known today as the Navigation Palace) is being designed and built. The elaboration of the plans and the supervision of the construction works belong to the disciple of Ion Mincu, the young architect Petre Antonescu, rector of the Romanian Academy of Architecture in the interwar period, whose name is related to the design of the Capital City Hall’s building or the Law School from Bucharest city.

"The General Directorate of River Navigation, residing in Galati, used in raising the station and its office premises a land situated at the entrance of the port between the quay at the embarkation point for the Danube navigation line and the main access road in the harbor" as the architect Petre Antonescu himself states in the monograph " BUILDINGS, CONSTRUCTIONS, PROJECTS AND STUDIES ".

Architectural and technical elements

It is the first construction in Romania to which a monolith reinforced concrete frame was used. Thanks to the loessoid, water-sensitive terrain, the Navigation Palace is supported on the pillars. The geometric decorations specific to the Romanian folk art adorn the building.
The exterior plasters are made of artificial stone and above the doors, at the entrance of the river station’s platform there is a protective roof of the outer staircase, supported by oak wooden consoles, ornamented with geometrical motifs. On the northeast corner is a tower, taller than the roof of the building, in which there is a scale of honor.
The harbor’s panorama can be admired from the tower. In the building’s central area, on the ground floor was the waiting room and the counters from where travelers bought tickets for the voyage. The roof of the building is made in a special way, with wooden slats, and slate roof, with eaves on consoles and rafters made of oak wood.